Saturday, 9 March 2013

'Magic' Pudding

I had the fancy to make a steamed sponge pudding for after dinner tonight but whilst flicking through my cookery books I found a fabulous recipe for an oven baked banana sponge with butterscotch sauce.

It instantly took me back about forty years to a ‘magic’ sponge that my Mum used to make. The alchemy involved used to fascinate me. Once the sponge batter was made and put in an ovenproof dish, the sauce was poured over the top. As the pudding cooked a light, fluffy sponge rose miraculously from the seething, bubbling sauce. Magic!

I seem to remember that in the 80’s there was a microwave version of this pudding that came with a lemon sauce. It was like eating a bath sponge in a lemon toilet cleaner sauce. I can’t remember for the life of me what it was called. Can anyone help me out?

This recipe is from my favourite Antipodean chef, Bill Granger. I love his simple style, clean flavours and obvious joy for what he does. Bill has a restaurant, Granger & Co, in Notting Hill, London that I really want to visit. If I’m ever fortunate enough to visit Oz I will be making a beeline for one or all of his three restaurants there.

The pudding turned out beautifully and I put the recipe below.




Banana Butterscotch Pudding - 4/6 portions
Ingredients
125 g plain flour
Pinch salt
120 g caster sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1 ripe banana, mashed
200 ml milk
85 g unsalted butter, melted
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract 

For the topping
140 g soft brown sugar
4 tbsp golden syrup
250 ml boiling water


1. Preheat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Grease a 2.5 litre baking dish.

2. Sift the flour with a pinch of salt into a bowl with the sugar and baking powder. Put in the mashed banana, milk, melted butter, egg and vanilla and whisk together until well combined. Pour into a buttered baking dish.
Pour the batter in to a greased ovenproof dish

3. For the topping: place the brown sugar, golden syrup and boiling water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Pour the boiling mixture carefully over the pudding, then bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden and risen. Serve with cream or vanilla ice cream.

Pour the butterscotch sauce over the batter

 Bake until the sponge is firm and golden

2 comments:

  1. I actually have everything required to produce this. AND I am hungry.....

    ReplyDelete