Sunday, 4 August 2013

It's Been A While.

In my last post in May I told you I would be busy writing for a food website, Foodlink NW and I have been. I have had a great time interviewing food producers based in the North West of England. I have been up at dawn to spend the morning in a bakers. I have spent an afternoon with rare breed pigs at a sausage producers. All manner of foodie adventures. If you would like to read the articles to date there are links below.

1. Pig Tales
2. Ten Tins and a Rolling Pin
3. Baked with Love
4. A Stately Food Festival
5. Street Food - The Quiet Revolution
6. An Industrial Food Festival

If anyone abroad, or in this country, for that matter requires an article writing about British food, then please get in touch.

The main purpose of this blog is to share my love of food: sourcing it; preparing it; cooking it and most importantly, eating it.

This summer I have had a glut of luscious, ruby red tomatoes. One of my favourite dishes is sundried tomatoes but they are very expensive to buy so I have made my own version. The recipe took some tweaking because even though they are cooked at a very low temperature the herbs, if put in at the beginning, tended to burn. I tried crushing the garlic but again this tended to burn so instead I used slivers. A slice on each tomato half, then removed after cooking as it tends to become bitter to the taste.



Oven Slow Roasted Tomatoes
A generous glut of tomatoes
Olive Oil
Balsamic Vinegar
Garlic Cloves, thinly sliced
Basil
Salt
Black Pepper, freshly ground

Method
Preheat oven to 120°C, Gas Mark ½. Slice the tomatoes in half and put in a large mixing bowl. Drizzle with enough olive oil and balsamic vinegar to coat. Gently mix the tomatoes in the oil and vinegar and then arrange, cut side up on a baking tray. Put the slivers of garlic in a little bowl with a little oil to coat then place a sliver on each upturned tomato. Place the tray in the oven and cook for approx 3 hours (but keep checking after 2 so that they don't catch), until semi dried and shrivelled. Remove from the oven, take off the garlic, sprinkle with chopped basil and season well. Allow to cool and then put in an airtight container. These will keep in the fridge for 2/3days. They are delicious served with hot or cold meats, cheeses and salads.

2 comments:

  1. Im very tempted to give this a wurl...I wonder. Would they stay lovely if added to olive oil and stored airtight?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that would be an excellent plan.

      Delete