Friday, 23 May 2014

Ice Cream Dream

There has been much excitement this week. Loving a gadget as I do, particularly a kitchen gadget, I ordered an Andrew James ice cream maker.  Well, it was a bargain, £20 down from £80. It would have been rude not to. The delivery man arrived last Saturday and the package was reverently carried into the kitchen for a formal opening. Amid much pomp and fanfare the machine was lifted from its cardboard and polystyrene cocoon.



Within moments the inner chamber was washed, dried and consigned to the freezer to chill for the required amount of time. Meanwhile I scoured the accompanying recipe book to find a suitable recipe. After much discussion with the daughter, we settled on a rhubarb and ginger confection.

Off I went to my local Morrison’s supermarket and bought the required ingredients, then paced the floor and tapped my foot, whilst I waited for the inner chamber to reach optimum frostiness. When the wait became too much I whipped up a rhubarb pie to go with the ice cream.

Finally the time arrived and the machine was set in motion. Thirty minutes later a soft, luxurious ice cream was ready to put back in the freezer for an hour to firm up a little more.

When it was served with the warm pie it didn't disappoint. The texture and flavour were that of a very expensive, premium brand but with absolutely nothing artificial in it. Even the calorie count wasn't too bad because the recipe (see below), contained low fat yoghurt as the main ingredient with a little single cream to ramp up the unctuousness. The amount it made lasted two of us three meals. Not bad for a £3 initial layout. 50p per portion means there will be a lot of ice cream being made in my kitchen.

This weekend I will be making Amaretto liqueur ice cream with Amaretti biscuit pieces to be served wafer fans. My new favourite tipple is a Gin and Limoncello cocktail and I’m going to turn this into a sorbet.  I'll keep you posted.

I have already ordered the Melt book from the wonderful, locally based Ginger’s Comfort Emporium, who serve their rather marvellous grown up flavours from a vintage ice cream van and from their parlour in Affleck’s Palace, Manchester. They perform alchemy with milk, cream and previously unthought-of flavours such as Chorlton Crack, Marmalade On Toast and Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Hawaiian Black Salt & Strawberry. There are non-dairy confections such as Melon, Cashew & Chilli and even camel milk ice cream. Yes, that’s right, camel milk ice cream, which apparently is fab for those who are lactose intolerant.

Ginger's Ice Cream Van at The Vintage Village


I definitely want to try making my all time favourite flavour, Brown Bread Ice Cream and the daughter wants Rocky Road.  I’m not sure that camel’s milk is readily available in my local Morrison’s but keep an eye out for our upcoming icy, creamy adventures.



Rhubarb & Ginger Ice Cream
Ingrediants
450ml tub of Rachel’s Organic Low Fat Rhubarb Yoghurt (or similar)
150ml tub of single cream
2 tbsp of Chase Rhubarb Liqueur (optional)
2 tbsp of the syrup from a jar of stem ginger
2/3 nubs of stem ginger, chopped in to chunks

Method
In a bowl mix the yoghurt, cream, liqueur, syrup and chunks. Remove the ice cream maker inner chamber from the freezer and assemble the machine. Put in the ingredients and set the machine going for approx. 30 minutes or until a soft ice cream texture is achieved. Serve straight away or decant into a suitable container and place in the freezer for about an hour or until the texture you require is achieved. Eat within 3 days, removing from the freezer about 15 minutes before serving to allow to soften slightly.

If you do not have an ice cream maker put the ingredients in to a freezable container. Take out and stir thoroughly every 30 minutes to avoid ice crystals forming, until frozen.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds lovely! I recently tried the Gingers Rhubarb crumble ice cream and found it to be the nicest ice cream I've ever had, so I can imagine yours was devine! The sorbet sounds like it would be lovely too!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made the Amaretto ice cream today and it was lush.

      Delete